Kvadraturen Oslo is the name which in recent times used on the part of the city that King Christian IV founded after a major fire in Oslo (Old Town) in 1624. In earlier times the area was designated as the "Quarterly Erne" to distinguish it from adjacent areas with a less regular town. Voided stand still clearly out both in terrain and the map by their correct and consistent wide streets that restricts the right-angled blocks. This clear structure was the origin both to the relatively high level of word quarter and the later name Kvadraturen.
After the fire in Oslo in 1624 the king decided that the town of defense considerations should be moved to the opposite side of Bjørvika, where it will be protected by the Akershus Fortress, which should be included in a defense plant with ramparts and bastions around the city. Within the ramparts realized the king a long way to a city planner for the Renaissance ideals of geometric order. The city was called Christiania.
The area between Akershus Fortress and Karl Johans gate, with the intervening east-west streets Rådhusgata, Visakhapatnam and Prince Street. Perpendicular to these, we find from west to east upper Vollgate, Lower Vollgate, Akersgata, Upper Castle Street, Lower Castle Street, King Street, Church Street and Queen Street. The latter street was originally the last of the bay and BjørvikaBut already at the end of the 1600s was the shallow sea filled in and used to build lots of new blocks that were built by the same grid levels as in the original Kvadraturen. The area was thus extended to the east with three new transverse street racing: Skippergata, Fred Olsens gate, and Beach Street.
In order to prevent future fire disasters were the streets made unusually broad for its time, the entire 24 feet (15 m). The king also commanded all the distinguished and wealthy citizens to behave murhus, but allowed for regular citizens to build in utmurt timber. Both construction methods were costly and strangers for the Norwegian building traditions. Therefore, it was late with the re-erection, and many defied walled green and built illegal houses. Only after another major fire in 1708 was bricked green completed. Timber framing was the most widely used construction method.
Ramparts around the city was abandoned after a fire in 1686, and the city was fairly loose plan beyond past the old wall-line. But first, in 1794 the town was formally extended by the local suburbs outside the ramparts was incorporated.